The development of structures and buildings within the vicinity of aerodromes may constitute as obstructions to flight operations. The CAA stipulates the aerodrome safeguarding requirements to be applied to licensed aerodromes based upon the runway use and dimensions, as detailed in CAP 168 Licensing of Aerodromes and CAP 738 safeguarding of Aerodromes. In addition, unlicensed aerodromes are encouraged to lodge aerodrome-safeguarding Maps with their Local Planning Authority (LPA), to form the basis of consultation in response to local development proposals.
We are highly experienced in the assessment of potential obstacles in regards to flight operations and the production of aerodrome-safeguarding Maps in accordance with CAA criteria, and can support you in the following areas:
- Development of Obstacle Limitation Surface aerodrome-safeguarding Maps in accordance with CAA guidance contained in CAP 168
- Development of Operational Areas and Cumulative Assessment Safeguarding Maps, to determine the acceptability of further developments in relation to the existing operating environment
- Production of accompanying Map Notes, providing the reasoning for the designation of safeguarded areas and aviation activity details, to assist the LPA in making informed planning decisions.
- Provision of detailed assessments regarding which flight procedures are potentially affected by solar reflection with guidance on suitable mitigation measures to ensure that flight safety is maintained.
- Technical safeguarding through performance assessment of aeronautical communication, radio navigation and surveillance facilities within the aerodrome’s built environment where changes to that environment may also result in changes to the facility performance.